Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My Cousin Shannon


Sorry, I havent been posting, Ive been alittle busy. After two & a half years of not knowing if she was alive or dead, I finally was reunited with my cousin. Ill explain!!

I pretty much raised my cousin from about 3 years old & up, she was always in my life one way or another. We are 10 years apart, so I wasnt always mature enough to be raising anyone when I started caring for her.
Long story short, She was never one to pick the right type of Boyfriend. Which seems to run in the family!! From the moment she started dating boys, she seemed to always pick the most abusive. It seemed I was always on a mission to try & save her from being abused or even killed by the one she was with. When I was able to get her away from one guy, she ended up seeing someone else who would either hit her, or abuse her in some way. I believe it has a lot to do with things that happened to her when she was younger. Another family curse!!
Ok on with the story!! About 9 years ago she met someone named Roger & moved in with him. At first he seemed like he could be different from all the rest, but it was short lived. When he started hitting her he knew that he had to get me out of her life one way or another. One thing abusive men do is cut off all their ties to anyone who could possibly help her. Its typical for abusive men to cut off the family as well. They just dont want the woman their with to have any resources of any kind & have to only depend on them for survival. So immediatly thats what he set out to do was get her away from me. That way she wouldnt have a place to go, or someone to help her. She started sneaking phone calls to me here & there, we would have to sneak to see me as well. I tried to talk sense into her, but no matter what it had to be her decision to leave him, not mine. Then she ended up pregnant & had a baby with him, so that made her want to stay that much more. While she was pregnant she had tons of black eyes & bruises everywhere. It was really hard for me to see her & see all these things happening & not be able to do anything about it. Finally he found out we were still in contact, & he had her call me to tell me she never wanted to see or talk to me again. It broke my heart!! But that is when I made up my mind & wrote her a letter to never contact me again until he was completely out of her life. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I felt I had to do it. I couldnt handle seeing it anymore or deal with the heart brake of her telling me she wasnt able to talk to me. That day I thought I would never see her again, she was either going to die at his hands or stay with him forever. So I had to forget her & try to move on!! That was 2 & a half almost 3 years ago!!

Last month I went to get my hair done & the lady told me she heard that Shannon left Roger a few months ago & she was trying to find me. My jaw dropped!! When I got home I got on the phone with her father & she did in fact leave Roger a year ago & has been trying to get ahold of me for months. I left my number & she called me 20mins later. She is now happy, healthy, & has a new man in her life. She now has a 3 year restraining order on him, hes now paying her childsupport, & She is able to have me in her life again. I cant post where she lives just in case he were to ever see this post. But I am so proud of her & so happy!! I drove two hours to go pick her, & her boyfriend up. They stayed with me for the past three nights, & three days. It was the first time I got to see her little boy since he was 1 1/2 or 2, hes now 5 years old. We had an awesome time, it felt like we had never stopped talking. I took her back home yesterday & its been a really awesome three days. ;)

Life is good right now, & its even better since she is back in my life. I love you Shamman!!

Take care everyone!! Love always, MM XOXOXOXO

21 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Hey sweetie, that's such a cool picture with your dog on her back!!
Take care RR!!
XOXOXOX

8/16/2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

BTW, I'm so happy for you!! I'm so glad that you got in touch with your cousin, family means sooooo much!

8/16/2006 4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is that thing growing out of her back???

8/16/2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

oh that is great. wonderful

Happy Wednesday, love me and the margaritas... sweet dreams!

8/16/2006 8:24 PM  
Blogger alan said...

Tears of happiness clouding my eyes for you both; her for escaping and you for finding her again!

alan

8/17/2006 12:40 AM  
Blogger Mystical Me said...

Scott,
I had to take this picture of her with my little doggy on her back. LOL!! Thank you!! Yes, she means the world to me. XOXO

Squid,
I think its called a doggy growth. ;) XOXO

Lee ann,
Thanks sweetheart, & those drinks sound really good right now. :) XOXO

Alan,
Your a sweetheart!! I hope all is well with you, I miss ya. Take care!! XOXO

Loves always, MM XOXO

8/17/2006 1:21 PM  
Blogger JLee said...

That's awesome! You did the right thing with the tough love, maybe it woke her up to what she needed to do. I'm so glad you had a reunion!!

8/17/2006 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a heartwarming ending to a sad story :) You're such a great person, MM!

8/17/2006 4:21 PM  
Blogger mushroom said...

Is that Ren on her back?

Its funny how lives and paths intercross when you least expect it.

8/17/2006 8:21 PM  
Blogger JLee said...

that is hysterical..I was so focused on your cousin I didn't even notice your dog perched there in the pic! hahahah

8/18/2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger Mystical Me said...

Jlee,
I would like to think what I did had an effect on her decision to finally leaving him. But truth is it was all her, & I had no part in it. I m so proud of her!! Its so awesome now because she is back in my life forever now, & nothing is going to change that. We had a blast when she visited, it was like nothing ever happened. It was awesome.
Your funny!! I couldnt help but take this photo of them. I need to take some more of her & her new boyfriend when I see her again. I hope you have an awesome weekend sweetie. Take care & I hope you know I still love ya. ;) XOXO

SPG,
Thank you sweetheart!! Yes, it was so good to see her again, & have her alive & well. Thanks!! Love ya & miss ya sweetie. XOXO

Mushroom,
LMAO, I almost named her that. But since Ren is a boy, I didnt. But she looks just like him, lol. Your so right, it seems to always happen when you least expect it. Thanks again sweetie & do take care. XOXO

Love always, MM XOXO

8/18/2006 10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I looked closer at that picture and what's with the mounted stuffed tiger head above the bed???

Did you go on safari to the wilds of "Toys R Us" and bag a trophy?

8/20/2006 8:50 PM  
Blogger Mystical Me said...

Squid,
LMAO!! My son got that for me. But yeah I know it looks alittle nutty there, but at least it made him feel good. ;)LOL!! Your funny!! Take care squid. XOXO

8/20/2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger Minister Scribe said...

And thou dost consider a mere still living cousin to be impotant enough to forsake thy minister???

8/21/2006 5:32 PM  
Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Your cuz is kinda a wuss lettin a lil bitty dog pin her like that.

8/22/2006 12:00 PM  
Blogger Polyman2 said...

Your so good.
What the hell's the matter with
women that stay with these asshole
cowards? Glad she got away from him.
Nice doggie standing guard.

8/22/2006 12:37 PM  
Blogger Murp! said...

Yo quirro a new post!

8/24/2006 5:41 PM  
Blogger Murp! said...

Like I speak Spanish. The Taco Bell dog made me do it...

8/24/2006 5:42 PM  
Blogger Cezi said...

MM that is so sweet! I grew up with a cousin that’s more like a sister to me, I haven’t seen her or talked to her in over 5 years…I have no idea where she is. When I read your post I was so emotional…I miss Elise so much.
But I am so happy you got reunited with yours :) don’t ever feel bad about the tough love decision; you had to be strong for both of you.
I love her picture… she seems like a real fun girl :) and your doggy is so precious! How do you keep her so thin, my little lacy is looking more like a sausage to me lol!

8/28/2006 7:55 AM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Happy Reunion!!!!!!!!

XOXOX-Mols

8/29/2006 2:45 AM  
Blogger JLee said...

miss you, girl! xo

8/31/2006 6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home